Match Report - Semi Final

Playford lose at penultimate stage of League Cup

Much of the early play was with Playford, Nick Bingham couldnít connect with a ball across the box by Jacob Buck. Ellis Rowland had a long-range effort that went wide.

Laxfield did have a moment of their own, a free-kick caused problems in the box and the ball was rattingly around the penalty for what seemed to Playford fans far too long.

The Laxfield keeper spilled a shot under pressure from Buck who was able to take the ball from him and get a shot away that was pulled just wide.

Two minutes later Laxfield opened the scoring and just after the restart Kirk Ferniz had to withdraw with an injured rib.

Playford went back on the offensive, playing the ball around nicely. Myles Foster brought the ball out of defence and continued unchecked well into the Laxfield half. Looking up, he played a lovely ball into the space in the penalty area for Buck to hit a first time shot which was saved by the legs of the goalkeeper.

There seemed no danger when Ellis Rowland brought the ball into the Laxfield half, but he spotted the run of Bingham and wonderfully played a pass into space in the penalty area. The ball sat-up invitingly for Bingham who rifled it home for the equaliser and his 150th goal for Playford.


Laxfield had an early chance from a corner, an unmarked header was saved at close-range by Max Juster, diving to his right.

On 61-minutes Laxfield went ahead again, play went down the right and the forward was able to fire past Juster, the Playford back line were left appealing, unsuccessfully, for offside.

Rowland had to be replaced and Nathan Pratt joined the match. A minute later Josh Knights crossed deep into the penalty area and Ross Turner rose highest but sadly headed just wide.

Cameron Overett collected a yellow for a late challenge on the half way line, four minutes after he was replaced by Christian Daniels.

Turner and Knights were now beginning to get the run of midfield, much like the first half. Turner found Bingham in the area who shot just over.

Free-kicks were also coming with regularity. Pratt had taken over and started to find the right areas; his first was claimed at the back post by the goalkeeper. Another was right in the sweet spot between goalkeeper and defence. Fosterís header was saved and it fell to Buck who shot over.

FULL TIME Laxfield 2-1 Playford

With the bulk of the play in the first half and a lot of pressure toward the end of the match Playford will be disappointed not to have progressed to the final.

Related Articles

01/04/2022 First Team Reach Semi Final